US REPRESENTATION: John Garvey & Joe Cohen, CAA
Jon S. Baird was born and raised in Aberdeenshire, but moved to London on the day after his graduation to immerse himself in all aspects of film and television production. Baird began his career as a runner at the BBC and quickly progressed through the ranks to become one of Britain’s brightest up and coming directorial talents.
His first role as director was in 2001 within the BBC’s comedy department, where he directed inserts for topical comedy shows.
In 2004 Baird wrote, directed and produced his first short film, ‘It’s A Casual Life’, which led to him landing a role as an associate producer on the feature film ‘Green Street’ (2006) starring Elijah Wood.
Baird’s directorial debut feature, which he also wrote and produced, was the highly acclaimed ‘Cass’ (2008), a true story about a Jamaican orphan whose violent struggle for identity saw him going from public enemy number one to successful book publisher.
Baird’s second feature ‘Filth’ (2013), which he wrote, directed and produced, was based on the best selling novel by Irvine Welsh and starred James McAvoy. ‘Filth’ won numerous awards and played at several international film festivals. ‘Filth’ is now in the top ten highest grossing UK 18 certificates of all time.
At the end of 2013 Baird wrote a screenplay for Disney, ‘The Immigrant’, based on the life of Steve Banerjee; the Indian immigrant who invented the world famous male dance group, The Chippendales, before becoming one of the FBI’s most wanted fugitives.
In 2014 Baird directed the television comedy drama ‘Babylon’ for Channel 4, which was produced by Danny Boyle and starred Brit Marling and James Nesbitt.
In August 2015 he directed an episode of the Martin Scorsese produced HBO show ‘Vinyl’, and in 2017 directed Stan and Ollie; a feature film about the comedy legends Laurel and Hardy, for BBC Films and The Weinstein Company, which will have its theatrical release in January 2019.
- DateProduction (role)CompanyProject details
- Date: 2017Production (role): I'M DYING UP HERE (episode 2)Company: ShowtimeProject details: Created by Jim Carrey
- Date: 2016Production (role): FEED THE BEAST (episodes 3 and 4)Company: Lionsgate TV/ AMCProject details:
- Date: 2015Production (role): VINYLCompany: HBO (Episode 8)Project details: Prods. Martin Scorsese, Mick Jagger and Terence Winter
Starring Bobby Cannavale, Olivia Wilde and Ray Romano
- Date: 2014Production (role): BABYLONCompany: Channel 4 (Episodes 1, 2 & 3)Project details: Prod. Danny Boyle
Starring Brit Marling and James Nesbitt
"One of the most thrilling and original series on television" The Independent
"This is a series worth tracking down and watching" Hollywood Reporter
- DateProduction (role)CompanyProject details
- Date: 2018Production (role): STAN AND OLLIECompany: BBC Films/ The Weinstein CompanyProject details: Starring John C Reilly and Steve Coogan
Written by Jeff Pope
- Date: 2013Production (role): FILTH (Writer / Director / Producer)Company: LionsgateProject details: Starring James McAvoy, Jamie Bell, Eddie Marsan and Jim Broadbent
British Independent Film Awards: Best Actor Winner
British Independent Film Awards: Nominated – Best Director
British Independent Film Awards:Nominated – Best Supporting Actor
British Independent Film Awards:Nominated – Best Supporting Actress
British Independent Film Awards:Nominated - Best Achievement in Production
Writers Guild of Great Britain: Nominated – Best Screenplay
Empire Film Awards: Best Actor Winner
Empire Film Awards: Nominated - Best British Film
London Critics Circle Film Awards: Best Actor Winner
London Critics Circle Film Awards: Breakthrough British Filmmaker Winner
London Critics Circle Film Awards: Nominated - British Film
London Critics Circle Film Awards: Nominated – Best Technical Achievement
BAFTA Scotland: Best Actor Winner
BAFTA Scotland: Nominated – Best Director
BAFTA Scotland: Nominated – Best Film
“I loved every minute of Filth” Daily Telegraph
“Bruce Robertson is a diabolically unpleasant anti-hero, but somehow writer-director Jon S. Baird makes us feel sympathy for the devil” Hollywood Reporter
“James McAvoy dominates the screen in this razor-sharp black comedy” Empire Film Magazine
- Date: 2008Production (role): CASS (Writer / Director / Executive Producer)Company: StudioCanalProject details: Starring Nonso Anozie
- Date: 2006Production (role): GREEN STREET HOOLIGANS (Associate Producer)Company: Universal PicturesProject details: Starring Elijah Wood and Charlie Hunnam
- DateProduction (role)
- Date: 2004Production (role): IT’S A CASUAL LIFE (Writer / Director / Producer)
- Production (role)Project details
- Production (role): London Critics CircleProject details: Breakthrough British Filmmaker Winner
- Production (role): London Critics CircleProject details: Best British Film Nomination
- Production (role): Writer’s Guild Great BritainProject details: Best Screenplay Nomination
- Production (role): BAFTA ScotlandProject details: Best Director and Best Film Nominations
- Production (role): British Independent Film AwardsProject details: Best Director Nomination
- Production (role): Empire Film AwardsProject details: Best British Film Nomination