Ben has extensive development experience working for both independent production companies and a major UK broadcaster. Working across different formats and all drama genres, he has a thorough knowledge of the UK market and of international co-production, with time spent in Munich working for Studio Canal-owned Tandem TV.
Ben has seen projects through from script to screen, nurtured and developed new writers and directors and collaborated with all departments in the production process from Press and Marketing and Business Affairs to Channel Controllers. Ben has wide and long-standing relationships across the UK Drama production community.
Fluent French speaker.
Currently spearheading campaign ‘Bang-Up Books’ with writer and film-maker Chris Atkins to deliver books free to prisons.
Qualified Reader Leader for shared reading charity ‘The Reader’.
- Production (role)CompanyProject details
- Production (role): FREELANCE SCRIPT EXECUTIVECompany: Cuba PicturesProject details:
- Production (role): DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVECompany: Eleventh Hour FilmsProject details:
- Production (role): FORTITUDE
(Script Producer)Company: Fifty Fathoms / Sky AtlanticProject details: Series 3
4 x 60"
Written by Simon Donald
- Production (role): BRITANNIA
(Series Script Executive)Company: Vertigo Films / Neal Street and Sky / AmazonProject details: 10 x 60"
Created by Jez Butterworth
- Production (role): DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENTCompany: TandemProject details: Ben played a significant role in the greenlighting of Tandem’s first drama series for Canal Plus (SPOTLESS – 10 x 60") as well as assembling the writing team and keeping an editorial overview through development and production. He also managed a slate of projects for broadcasters in France, Germany and the US as well as continuing to explore opportunities in the UK.
- Production (role): HEAD OF DEVELOPMENT DRAMA / DEVELOPMENT EXECUTIVECompany: Channel 4Project details: Working as part of the Channel 4 Drama Commissioning team, Ben took editorial responsibility for successful long-running series SKINS and SHAMELESS as well as new projects including RUN, THE FEAR and YOUNGERS. Alongside the management of C4’s Drama slate, he was responsible for curating the channel’s acclaimed new talent Drama strand 'Coming Up'.
- Production (role): DEVELOPMENT PRODUCERCompany: Twofour BroadcastProject details: Working with Head of Drama Jo Wright, Ben worked across a slate of series and serials including funded developments for all the major UK broadcasters.
- Production (role): DEVELOPMENT PRODUCERCompany: Maverick TelevisionProject details: Working with Head of Drama Juliette Howell, Ben worked across a wide variety of projects including five films for the BBC’s Decades strand and Dominic Savage’s single film DIVE, subsequently produced for BBC2.
- Production (role): DEPUTY COMMISSION EDITORCompany: Channel 4Project details: As part of the Drama Commissioning team, Ben worked across a range of projects including LOW WINTER SUN, ALL IN THE GAME and CAPE WRATH.
- Production (role): EditorCompany: Film4Project details:
- Production (role): Freelance EditorCompany:Project details:
- Production (role): Story EditorCompany: World ProductionsProject details: Credits include ATTACHMENTS - Series 2 for BBC2
- Production (role): Script EditorCompany: Thames TVProject details: Credits include THE BILL for ITV
- Production (role): Script EditorCompany: BBC FilmsProject details: